Friday, December 5, 2008

Bugs Bunny as Queer as a Three Dollar Bill?

It's been a pretty damn long time since I posted, with the semester ending and turning papers in and taking test, I've finally had time to express myself about something I read about awhile back.

Looney Tunes cartoons, we've all grown up on them, with Bugs Bunny being our primary protagonist. But did you ever consider Bugs being the symbol in the 1950s and 60s are a queer icon? Well in a essay I read entitled "Bugs Bunny as Queer as a Three Dollar Bill" by Sartin, it explains how Bugs Bunny is an avid crossdresser. And after viewing a few Bugs Bunny cartoons on youtube, I would have to agree that Bugs likes to dress in drag. The funny thing is when Elmer Fudd or whoever is after Bugs they always falls for Bugs dressed as a woman, then something happens that compromises Bugs costume and Elmer Fudd or whoever is super pissed that he isn't a woman. I decided to post one of the more famous Looney Tunes cartoons entitled What's Opera, Doc?


Now the essay goes on, that the Production Code, which was like the MPAA of the 1940s didn't allow any sexual suggestive material in any films, but cartoons were left alone and the code was rarely enforced for cartoons, letting animators do anything they want. So they could get away with such suggestive material. Nowadays these cartoons seem more or less harmless and still funny as they were 50 years ago. But now I can't help but have my image of Bugs Bunny tarnished after reading this essay.

3 comments:

Tukes said...

you can't deny bugs flawless nordic heritage. rapunzel in the house!

Nathan EXPLOSION! said...

Elmer Fudd's rendition of "Kill the Wabbit" is also noteworthy of his operatic sensational singing. Also that is the gayest horse that Bugs rides in I've ever seen.

Tukes said...

agreed. that's even gayer than the metal one eric rides at hard rock cafe. wtf.